Subject: Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M]
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Jun 16 22:05:55 2006

It is not so much that the companies are being mean to us and are
building in planned obsolescence, but rather that as countries become
richer, the price of services tends to rise relative to the price of
goods (because the goods can be imported from countries with cheap
labour, like China, whereas services are mostly provided locally).
Whenever we have something fixed around the house, almost invariably the
labour is the biggest cost component. Same with my cars.

You can easily see it when travelling to countries with much lower
income than the US or Western Europe. For example, when I visit Poland
(per capita income about 1/3 of the Netherlands), I find that things in
an electronics shop cost more or less the same as they do in the
Netherlands, but services are much, much less--whether it is a visit to
the dentist, a haircut, eating out or a car repair. I always have my car
serviced there--an Opel dealer, same parts, same factory tools and
training as in the Netherlands, but far lower labour rate. I also get my
teeth checked while there etc.

For the same reason, things that we would replace in the US or in the
Netherlands can still be repaired in Poland--on my last visit I brought
my sister a nice big TV which had developed a serious problem with
colours shortly after the expiration of the warranty. The cost to fix it
in the Netherlands would have been a minimum of 300-400 Euro; my sister
had it fixed at the local TV repair shop for the equivalent of 100 Euro
and now has a nice, like new, TV set.

BTW, when you buy anything electronic in the Netherlands, you pay a
special disposal tax which ranges from a couple of Euros on a small item
like an iPod to perhaps 20-25 Euro on a big-screen TV. The electronic
retailers are obliged to take back the old appliances (as far as I
remember, regardless of whether you buy something from that shop or
not). The money raised through the disposal tax pays for this system.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands