Subject: [Leica] Sepia Conversion
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon May 22 15:23:34 2006

Douglas,

No, don't think it quite does it. The Sutcliffe browns are deeper and often
appear massed. What was the Sutcliffe original? I suggest that to try to
assess
the performance of this approach you would need to try the experiment again
with
a Sutcliffe location; attempting to photograph something pretty close to the
original and then try matching the profiles. BTW which software are you
using?
PSE 4?

At the risk of repeating myself, the quality of the Sutcliffe pictures has a
lot
to do with the combination of the process he used and the light at the time;
which was often more hazy than now, resulting in a more luminous qualityto
the
air. Modern film, especially colour slide, responds to light in a wholly
different way to that of Sutcliffe's processes.

Peter