Subject: [Leica] The best drivers?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Apr 30 06:20:02 2006

Funny,
at least in Milan the Italian drivers seem to be amongst the most
considerate to pedestrians, cats,dogs etc and even other drivers.
In Germany, drivers tend to accelerate when the see someone attempting
to use a pedestrian crossing, widespread, although illegal, is steering
with one hand while using the other to hold your mobile phone - this
makes drivers very alert (but mostly seconds too late)
Creeping up the front man's exhaust at 250kph, or overtaking on the
wrong side is also an everyday pastime. Cutting in, and just a dab on
the anchors to scare the bloke you just overtook into an emergency stop,
is a jolly bit of fun too. The German drivers real sense of fun comes to
the fore when there's thick fog (and preferably black ice too) on the
autobahn - - the standard aftermath phrase is - ....at speeds
inappropriate to the weather conditions - the Englishman's home may be
his castle, but a German's car is his Panzer. Only not quite as tough.
Douglas
As the German driver said to his wife "What do they mean on the traffic
news -somebody's driving on the wrong side of the Autobahn? There's
hundreds of them"
Or the German driver's memorial headstone,  " here lies ........ he did
have the right of way"