Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 17
From: joseph at yao.com (Joseph Yao)
Date: Fri Apr 28 12:54:32 2006

Gerry,

I lived in the UK for twenty years and it is still a relatively inexpensive
place to maintain a car.  Here are my car-related expenses in my part of the
world:

Car tax 100% - for example, a 2006 Porsche 911 costs US$220,000
Annual road tax  US$1,700
Insurance  US$2,800/year with full NCB
Petrol/gas  US$8.33/gallon, approx. US$900/month
Parking  US$520/month (residential)
Parking  US$580/month (office)
Parking  US$4/hour (typical downtown parking lot)

Plus various tolls for tunnels/roads.

And culturally we do not like buying used cars, cars depreciate heavily
here: typically 30%/year.  Like Leica purchases, we prefer to buy new
whenever possible :-)

Still, I must not complain.  I understand my friends in Singapore have
approx. 250% car tax.

Joseph
[Hong Kong, SAR]

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 17)