Subject: [Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Apr 20 15:43:29 2006

Walt,

I've also seen many of Ed's prints and many other fine prints (as
well as hordes of crap). I'm not making any comparisons of the
visionary qualities of various photographers. Price of prints aside -
I think that judging a print or a vision by a 60x60x72ppi screen
image makes vary little sense, except in the case raw visual /
emotional power - as in your very impressive work.

The more subtle the aesthetic qualities the more one has to actually
stand in front of the print to judge it's merits or lack thereof. No
matter how well an image may be printed in a book the originals
usually take one's breath away. I've not seen a Morando print. I
can't speak about their aesthetic merits nor the worth of her vision
until I do see one in the flesh. Does her statement sound a bit
pretentious? Yes. Does her price for matted prints, which will fade
quickly if hung in a sunny California room, sound a bit out of this
galaxy? Yes. Does the work suck? I don't know. I've never seen it.

To compare the two visions, Colen and Morando; I don't see the point.
I would refer to Colen as a someone working solidly within in the
Documentary tradition. While Morando is working within the relatively
infantile (to photography) Gallery/Museum/Art-rag tradition. I
respect both traditions. I've played in both fields. Comparing
individual artists within these two genres is like comparing a
blackened tuna steak with a mango.

When I was working full time as a journalist-documentarian and
submitted my work to the Milwaukee Art Museum they said, "The work is
very fine. But it is not art fit for the home." Even though I'd justt
received a NEA grant to mount a show, "Light on Poverty in
Appalachia" in Tennessee. I was young and felt devastated. Go figure.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

On Apr 20, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Walt Johnson wrote:

> I've had the opportunity to see many of Edward Weston's original
> prints and I can guarantee Ms. Morando ain't even close. My remark
> about B.D. was in reply to Adam's mentioning it in his post.
> Languid, dreamy, etc.... :-)   My point was B.D (to me at least) is
> a far more advanced visionary than Morando.

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900)
Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900)