Subject: [Leica] race night
From: pritchettr at charter.net (Rob Pritchett)
Date: Wed Apr 19 10:20:56 2006

Arche...

I enjoyed your "Race Night" photos... I found them engaging and I feel that
you "captured" the spirit of what was going on!  Further, I admire your
efforts to photograph what I now believe is a tough venue!

Here's why I believe that...  Like you, I am no stranger to quick cars and
racing.  I was interested in "sports car racing" from my earliest teen years
and would have given my eyeteeth to have actually attended one of the
Sebring 12-hour events.  Later in life, I contracted the "Porsche bug" and
actually tried my hand at club racing (PCA events) with a certain success.
I thought that NASCAR was way too "bubba" for me.  Then my elder son arrived
from Denver a couple of weekends ago, with tickets to the NASCAR Nextel Cup
race at Texas Motor Speedway... second row, front straight!  OK, he spent
the big bucks, so I'm going.  What a blast.  These folks are the real thing,
right on the ragged edge for 500 miles and the sound (from the second row)
must be experienced!  Like you, I found the people there (200,000 of them!)
to be super nice, with ample grace and good humor (and many with ample
girth, I might add!).

I took my trusty old Nikon N90 (too apprehensive to take the M2/Rapid
Winder)... and took nearly zero photos.  I guess that I was too intimidated
by the sights, sounds, and smells, or had too much of a talent deficit, but
at the time, it sure seemed to be a tough event to photograph.  Anyway, now
that I have been once and have a better idea of what to expect, maybe next
time, I'll gather up the fortitude to dust off the Leica and try a bit
harder.

Gee... what's that ringing in my ears?

All the best,

Rob