Subject: [Leica] Re: US educational inadequacy?
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Mar 21 22:13:14 2006

This fits with my experience as well. When I was a graduate student at
the Univ. of Florida in the mid-80s, about half of my fellow PhD
students were from India. Every single one of them was hoping to get a
job in the US after their degree, and most did. Nowadays it is my
impression that many people from India and China still go to the US or
the UK to study, but with the intent to go back after graduation and
take advantage of the opportunities available in their home countries.

For Africans the main difference is that  in most cases, their home
countries are corrupt, poor, mired in internal conflicts and otherwise
miserable, and provide few or no opportunities compared to India or
China. No surprise that the best and brightest grab the first chance to
escape. Closing off western universities to them is not the solution. I
am sure that if conditions improve, that brain drain would stop and
reverse, just as it has done in the case of India/China.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands