Subject: [Leica] Olympus DSLR--my two cents
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Sun Mar 19 06:27:22 2006

If the Chinese ever approach the quality that the Japanese have, I'll be
most surprised. Not withstanding their complete penchant for exploiting each
other w/o honor or apology, it is a national habit to build it cheap or
screw the customer any way you can and to hell w/ repeat sales. This opinion
will probably be damned as rascist but comes from a great of contact--both
personal and business in the USA w/ Chinese businesspeople.

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@gmx.de> wrote:  Don,
let's face it, the number of people forced to remain at a lower level of
education was, not so long ago, pretty unimportant. There was always the
job at the local mill, factory or in agriculture. What we are facing
today is the backlash of the classic denial of an appropriate education
to certain classes, races, ethnic groups and women for what ever reason
a government or a religion felt fit. The menial worker is now hardly in
demand, or this work is carried out by immigrants, women, imported cheap
or illegal labour or "exported" manufacturing facilities in low wage
countries.
To take this further, the Chinese have already started making inroads
into classical European industrial sectors, and have already bought
several companies in what was previously the GDR. This development will
continue in the same way as Mittal's (Indian steel magnate) successful
campaign to control and own the iron and steel industry.
Technology transfer to China is now a big thing, and also a prerequiste
clause in just about any export or services contract made with Chinese
concerns (this happened to Transrapid Mag-Lev, Siemens, VW and others).
And what was the real revolution in China after Mao?
You got it - educating the masses - this went so far that there is now a
campaign in China to get people back into agriculture before the food
supply situation collapses - add to this the Chinese love of taking
financial risks (betting and stockbroking are the biggest games in HK)
and probably, within the next 10 years, China will be the leading world
economy and the owner of many traditional western companies.
The plan of gradually loosening the totalitarian hold on development
will eventually be followed, when the government sees fit, with the
reinstatement of human rights for all, which if granted before the
economic consolidation of this immense country could easily lead to
civil war. IMO, it's hard but it's the only way they can see, and it
fits in with thousands of years of years of feudal culture and mentality
going back to the Mandarins and further.
If your kids are still young, let them learn Chinese - they'll soon need
it..