Subject: [Leica] re: indoor available light film
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Mar 11 16:30:05 2006

Arche,
First, profile your monitor.  Gretag has a new device and software in the
$90 range.  It does not give you a lot of choices but your monitor will show
you what the printer will get.  On a Mac if your monitor is accurate and you
have not purposely turned off color management then your prints will be very
close.  Most differences will be one of gamma, an LCD screen will show more
than a print can.

I have found that most people using LCD's have the lumens turned way up, the
kind folks at Gretag suggested something around 120 for accurate screen to
print comparison.

What Sonny did was use the Highlight/shadow tool in Image/Adjust.  Your
images had too much of the image in the shadows, which is why I believe that
your monitor is glowing a mite too bright, on your screen you can see what
is in the shadows.

As to workflow on your scanner, I assume that you have a manual control to
change levels, curves, and color after the prescan.   So, do a prescan, look
at the histogram and move your black and white points to just touch the
edges of the histogram.  Next, on the curve dialoge box, run your curser
over the image looking for areas that you want to see detail.  You will want
to adjust your curves so that the data in those areas is higher than about
40 and lover that about 230.  Below or above those numbers it can be hard to
get image data onto a print.  When you are done, you will have a preview
image that looks just a little flat to your eye; you want that as you will
do your final adjustments in PS to season to taste.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com