Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 10: The Great Outdoors
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Sat Mar 11 10:45:32 2006

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the look, and the compliment.

I agree with this sentiment of yours much of the time...I am frequently
frustrated by what I see in various photography shows where I'm pretty sure
the "artist" wouldn't know a focal length from an f/stop.  There's a Holga
series up in Durham now which I find B-O-R-I-N-G beyond belief.  The fancy
title for the show doesn't help matters in the slightest.

However, I also know some photographers who have an excellent base in
traditional photography techniques...people who either make their livings
as photographers producing work for newspapers, magazines, etc, or who are
long-time hobbyists with significant technical experience in various
formats and have done all their own darkroom work for some years...but for
their personal work they now turn out some amazing photography along the
"artsy fartsy" line...all mood and shadow and darkness and lightness with a
healthy dose of blur, along the lines of the striking and hauntingly
beautiful photo that Walt showed.

It's almost like all those musicians, painters, etc, who spend years
learning the rules and then move on to break them.  Sometimes the results
are astounding.  Sometimes not.  Personally, I try sometimes, but I find it
really hard to make it work....which makes me all the more impressed by
those who succeed regularly.  To me, those folks' work is among the most
interesting and evocative photography I've ever seen...photography's
version of jazz.

Best,
Aaron

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 10: The Great Outdoors)