Subject: [Leica] olympus E1 experience
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Mar 5 09:26:12 2006

I've been using it for about three years, Mehrdad. It's built like a tank -
the equal in every respect of the top-of-the-line Canon and Nikon pro bodies
that now cost 4 to 14 times as much. All metal, completely sealed against
dust and moisture, and unlike the competition, has a self-cleaning sensor -
I have yet to have to clean mine, and and in all the time I've used it, I
think I've noticed spots on two images - spots that weren't there after the
sensor's next automatic self-clean.

Limitations? It's only 5 megapix, and it doesn't begin to compare to the
Canons in noise levels over 400. On the other hand, I generally shoot at
800, and no one's been saying, 'damn, those are noisy images.;-)' I'd say
that at 800 it has a Tri-X pushed to 800 noise level; 1600 is usable but
noisy; 3200 - well, it's damn noisy - but then so is film. Do I wish there
was less noise at those higher isos? Yes. And the new MOS sensor in the new
E330 is unquestionably better than the CCD in  the E-1.

The viewfinder on the E-1 is large and bright enough for me to manually
focus when I want to. That said, I wish it was larger.

However, despite the draw backs, I've been successfully using it to shoot
everything from photos for the New England Journal of Medicine, to weddings
- and literally no one has every had anything negative to say.

At the current price point - obviously they're dumping it as it's 5 mgp and
behind the current curve - it's as good as free, and I would definitely
recommend it. And I'd get it with the vertical grip and larger battery -
it's a beautifully balanced package that way.

And, yes, my digital work is supported by Olympus and they give me
equipment. ;-) So ask one of the other E-1 users if these comments reflect
their experience.

B. D.