Subject: {RE)[Leica] Question on 3, 5-3, 5 cm Elmar chrome, uncoated, pre-war lens
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Sat Feb 18 05:02:34 2006

Horst:

  Thanks for your sage comments. Based on your knowledge, maybe I should get
another 35 that is softer, since I already have a Canon 35/ 2 LTM lens that
is quite sharp (reported to be like the 35 Summicron pre-asph). Do you agree?

  What's amazing is that there are few of these 35 Elmars around.

  I would appeciate your reply.

  Bill

"A.H.Schmidt" <horsts@iinet.net.au> wrote:
  Hello Bill, The 5 cm elmar is not a soft lens, Since it is a tessar
design, It will be sharp. However this applies only if the glass is clean.
As for the uncoated part. Dont worry about it, it has its attractions ,
Take a picture by artificial light or with existing light in a room
with the window supplying the light source and you ll find the slyghtly
more glare to your advantage.
The flare is really only apparent against the light.
Of course there is reasonable difference in contrast and edge sharpness
tho the latest lenses. This however applies to a 1955 or so Summicron too.
Sometimes it is more pleasing without the super high contras. Or
should. I say more gemuetlich to look at. The same goes for the Edge
sharpness. I still can really work out, why I need to have the edges
super sharp. Ok for an industrial technical picture or so, but for a
Landscape, a portrait or a picture of the dog jumping, I 'm really not
that worried about.
One thing your Elmar will give you, That is plasticity. In other words
your pictures have lovely depth and things look slightly more 3
dimensional. The background goes un sharp without being fuzzy. It does
really not have a blest aaperture. You select the aperture not for the
super sharpness, but for the depth of field you require. Less or more..
This lens if it is in good nick is a worthwhile lens, as long as you
have also a more modern other 50mm lens .
Its hard to say if it is worth 300 dollars. If you really wont it and
use it it will be worth the worth the money. If your not sure what to
do with it, it wont be worth it. Dont forget. It is not a soft lens.

I have a whole lot of 50mm Lenses. My favorite 4 are : The 50mm F2
Summar (Coated afterwards), The 50mm Summitar f2,
The 50mm f1.5 original Voightlander Nocton in Leica screw mount and
The f1 Noctilux ( I bought by selling all my screw mount cameras and
equipment except the lenses.). None of those lenses are super sharp ,
but each one as a special appeal to me. Especially the Summar.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Would this lens be "soft" and be worth $300? Would you buy one or something
else for a "classic" look? At what f-stop does it perfrom best?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill