Subject: [Leica] CS2 and noise reduction.
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Tue Feb 7 14:39:09 2006

I'm in the software biz, and I can certainly relate to your concerns.
Bothers me too, except when it has put money in my pocket ;-)
(In defense of software, we have huge complex software packages
available to us today that cost very little money, or even nothing
at all - so it's not all bad, by any means.)

But you can always take a kind of "Leica approach" to software.

After, all the Leica M is not the most versatile system, but many
folks standardize, hunker down and very happily live within it's
limitations - sometimes even using only 1 focal length - while playing
to the system's strengths.

For me that means - VueScan, NikonScan, Nikon Capture, PictureWindow
Pro, QuadtoneRIP, IMatch, Exifer, JAlbum, Polaroid's Dust filter, WinSCP.
I might be missing something but that's pretty much it - all of it
either cheap
or free. Excepting Vuescan/NikonScan, little or no redundancy in the tools.

Thus far, I otherwise just "hunker down," use these tools, and try to
get better at using them.  While there have been many upgrades to many
of these tools over the past year, I mostly don't bother to even install
them. No fuss, no muss.

With software, it's easy to eat up the hours with ever new and/or improving
tools. I'd rather eat up the hours making pictures, or watching the tube, or
cooking or just about anything else.

Best of luck.

Scott