Subject: [Leica] Recommendations re: Kodak 3200 ASA
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 4 19:19:11 2006

Scott Gregory asked:

>>> If anyone out there has recommendations for shutter speed settings for
>>> night work with Kodak 3200 ASA TMax, I would be appreciative of any
>>> advice.
> Using an MP and various lenses. Mostly night street work with street
> lights etc.<<<<

Hi Scott,
 I believe the MP has a built in meter is that correct? If so and it's as
great as the M7, set it for 3200, compose so you don't have major lights
dead centre image and when the red lights, arrow heads, shutter speed
lights-up,  whatever come on, "click!"

Rely on the gear, have faith in it,after all it is a Leica and works like a
dream.

Two things may happen you'll have a bunch of really neat negatives or you'll
have a bunch screwed-up.;-) I can't think of anything one could advise you
on regarding what shutter speeds other than hand holding at 1/8th might be
the slowest I'd try if you're not a regular shooter at slow speed.

At night on the street other than not having big bright street lights near
the centre of the metering area. And watch for light reflections off the
street paving as it makes good double use of the light and keeps the overall
look open.

If you're working off tripod? Then just squeeze down on the shutter release
and let the camera pick whatever speed it wants I relation to the aperture
you wish to work with.

I hope this is of some help.
ted.

Ted Grant Photography Limited