Subject: [Leica] The DM-R has landed!
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Wed Feb 1 08:11:11 2006

Nick Roberts wrote:

>When UK's "Amateur Photographer" magazine reviewed the
>DMR, they similarly bemoaned the limiting of the ISO
>range because of the excellent capabilities of the
>device, and were confident that it could cope not just
>with 1600, but with 3200 and that it was thus an
>opportunity missed. Now I know some people cannot
>conceive of ever using such a speed (hello, Peter!),
>but it's surely one of the huge advantages of digital
>capture. Excellent quality at low settings, as
>witnessed by Peter's shots, and the ability to get a
>usable shot in pretty dark conditions with just a
>simple adjustment. I'm sure Leica will address this in
>future, but in the meantime, it's not the tool for
>Ted. Which is a shame.
>
>Nick

Hi Nick!

I've been put onto a 'fix' for this problem.  You set the DM-R to ISO
400 (where noise is quite reasonable) and underexpose 2 stops (leave it
in auto and use the exposure over-ride).  This is actually more
convenient than changing the ISO.  Then, during "development", adjust
the exposure.  I have tried this on .dng files provided by others and it
seems to work.  Supposedly you get fewer blown highlights, and two stops
above ISO 400 was ISO 1600, the last time I looked.  Noise is slightly
above the ISO 400 level, but far below the DM-R's noise level at ISO 800!

I'll give this a try on my own and report back.

Cheers!

--

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC