Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 3 & 4: back home
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jan 30 11:35:25 2006

Hi Don,

Thanks for looking and your thoughts. When I came to the US in 1983, I
too was struck by the relative absence of urban life. During the
following 12 years I came to recognize that not all US cities are alike
in this respect. Besides the obvious exceptions like New York or San
Francisco or Philadelphia, I found Buffalo (yes, Buffalo!) where I lived
for 2 years quite attractive. We lived close to downtown, off a major
street called Elmwood Ave., which was full of shops, bars, and people
actually walking around. At the other extreme was Tampa, where I lived
for 3 years and which I absolutely hated. After 5 pm downtown was
completely dead, the stores were closed (since the office workers had
gone home to the suburbs) and the only people you would see out and
about were the homeless.

Nathan