Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 3 & 4: back home
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Jan 29 11:09:48 2006

Nathan,
Viewing your images and others from Europe, I am struck by how similar our
worlds are when we are looking at the relatively modern era.  Skyscrapers,
train stations, bars, open air markets, what have you.  But go back to what
was there 100 years ago and our two worlds are very different.  In a few
places, old New Orleans, a few spots in our older cities like Boston,
Savanah, Philadelphia, public squares in our smaller towns like Natchez
there is a similar view.  But many of the European cities still have large
swathes of urban life not too removed from a long time ago whereas in the
U.S. we will keep a token building or maybe a block but bulldoze the rest
down and replace it with something different.

This thought has been simmering in the back of my head since a couple of
years ago when I took my dad back to where he grew up, as much for me as for
him.  Even in Grand Island, Nebraska which is a back water town on the edge
of the corn belt, the old was being torn down or modernised with not much
respect for what had gone before.  If it was old, it just had not been
rehabed yet.

0.02

Don
don.dory@gmail.com