Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: longand occasionally on topic
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Sun Jan 29 11:39:22 2006

You're absolutely right, Don.  And no of the alternative energy
sources will be "cost effective" or "economically viable" until all
the oil is gone.  So I say burn as much now as you like.  the sooner
the oil is gone, the sooner we'll get alternative energy.

If you ever wanted a real fire-breathing car that runs on gasoline,
now is the time.  The new BMW M5 has a 507hp V10, sequential manual
gearbox with paddle shifters, goes to 60 in 4.1 seconds (per Road and
Track's recent review) and with the limiter removed, hits 204mph.

Burn it up now because between the time when the oil gets scarce and
when battery technology really improves, we are headed for a period
of extremely boring cars.  (think Toyota Prius)  The light at the end
of the tunnel is that pure electric cars have much greater
performance potential than combustion-engined cars.  But the energy
storage problems have to be solved first.

--Jim