Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: longand occasionally on topic
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sun Jan 29 08:28:01 2006

Frank is factually right; BUT - regulatory requirements have added a huge
weight penalty to every automobile produced today. Crash-ability,
bump-resistant bumpers, airbags (that entail electronics, motors and bags
for deployment AND undeployment), full-time running lights, automatic door
locks, power windows (try to buy a car today with windup windows),
air-conditioning (try to buy without THAT) and you add hundreds of pounds to
every car coming off the line.

My 1967 Ferrari 365 GTC (bought in 1978 when it was just an old, used sports
car and I could afford it ! ) is wonderfully nimble for such a powerful road
car; weighs but 2860 pounds, the lightest 365 GTC Ferrari  made because it
is actually a prototype, a 330 GTC with factory-installed 4.4 litre typ 245
engine,  thus has no air-conditioning whereas all production 365 GTC's were
delivered with A/C, a weight penalty of perhaps 100-150 lbs.

It is a wonder of the world that Lotus is able to comply with regulatory
requirements and still produce a safe, stiff car at their weights.