Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Fri Jan 20 17:50:26 2006

Frank, of course I was quoting from the manufacturer's propaganda. My point
wasn't that it was right, but that it was NIKON propaganda - not Zeiss,
Cosina, or Hasselblad. Attacks here have singled out the ZI when in fact
their choice of materials is the choice of the industry for their highest
level of products - Leica R9, Canon EOS 1v, Nikon F6. They are all staking
their reputations on this material - not with ordinary consumers who throw
away their equipment, but with the professional community who buy their most
expensive products & who expect them to work in harsh envronments & to
endure.

I know that you have way more experise in this area than I do, and I know
that magnesium alloys have the advantage of saving weight which is
attractive to manufacturers, but tell me why they are all flocking to
thismaterial like lemmings? And why are their numerous websites out there
that say the opposite of you in terms of strength & elasticity? Are their
various alloys that may have different properties? Leica has a fairly
extensive explanation on their website of the expense that they went to in
order to manufacture their magnesium covers in a way that would meet their
product needs. Their are also numerous articles independent of PR
departments that explain various treatments that have been developed to
successfully inhibit corrosion. Are they all just puff pieces?

Bill

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) (Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) (Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon)