Subject: [Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Wed Jan 18 00:48:29 2006

On 16/01/2006, at 17:13, Richard S. Taylor wrote:

> Luis - I had not considered this possibility.  Thanks.  I ran some
> tests recently with Fuji Press 400 and found I got the least
> grainy, best tonal range negatives when I derated the film between
> 1 and 2 stops.

This always happen, the best tonality from any given film comes
underexposing it about an stop and developing it having that in mind.
This does not apply to slides, indeed. :)

> The variation depended on whether or not the lamp was in, or close
> to, the frame.  (And,  this was after making sure I wasn't metering
> the lamp.)   Next time I think I'll try Fuji 800 at 400 or maybe
> Fuji 1600 derated to 650 or so and see if either gives me better
> results.

most high ISO emulsions are in fact 400/800 specifically formulated
to be pushed. If you are aiming to have some rules to shoot
consistently under tungsten light I think that you will save time and
money going methodical and running some test to find the effective
sensibility of your film of choice. It's boring to death, I know, but
helps a lot.

> I may give P3200 another try eventually  but I'd like to stick with
> C41-process films for now.

C41 is quite comfy, but I don't know if someone is offering high ISO
in this process.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light)