Subject: [Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Tue Jan 10 06:32:17 2006

Following up on comments (on and off-list) by David Cochran, it looks
like the gray appearance and graininess in some of my recent postings
is due to simple underexposure.  Compared to negatives taken in
daylight on the same film rated identically, they are very thin.

Osterloh (in "Leica M Advanced Photo School") says that the silicon
diodes in exposure meters can be fooled by the predominantly red
character of tungsten light leading to as much as 1/2 EV
underexposure.  My negs look more than 1 EV under.

I'm wondering what the experience of LUG is in dealing with tungsten
illumination.  Do you derate the film?  Do something else?

(I know strong light sources can fool the meter and have always tried
to meter well away from them.)

Many thanks.
--
Regards,