Subject: [Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sun Jan 15 00:58:31 2006

On 10/01/2006, at 15:32, Richard S. Taylor wrote:

> Following up on comments (on and off-list) by David Cochran, it
> looks like the gray appearance and graininess in some of my recent
> postings is due to simple underexposure.  Compared to negatives
> taken in daylight on the same film rated identically, they are very
> thin.

Most B/W films have a different sensibility under daylight or
tungsten light. Original Tri-X (which was ISO 200 instead 400) had
200 under daylight and 160 with tungsten according kodak's data
sheets.  Whatever is happening technically, the relative luminances
that you can find under tungsten light are typically quite steep in
close areas, so  you should have to meter carefully to avoid flat
tones or  underexposure because a relatively small area of the skin
is reflecting much more than the rest and weighting a lot in the
metering area.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light)