Subject: Quality/size ratio and digital - Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Jan 16 15:05:25 2006

Scott,
The cheap stuff and good stuff argument in the past was all about design and
engineering.  The difference between a good speaker and a fabulous speaker
was about using better materials, possibly a  custom magnet, and paying more
attention to the harmonics of the enclosure.  The difference in the
materials was small relative to the difference in price so that a smallish
outfit could sell fewer units but still make good money as the margins were
better.

But when you come to semi-conductors you are looking at some very large
fixed costs to build a fab plant.  Start at nine figures.  Yes, custom fabs
are out there, but they get very large sums for small volumes as the number
of rejects is quite high.  To get really low costs you do the same as the
memory chip folks, a dedicated plant with an engineering team that spends
their whole life driving the sigma up, the return is the ability to stay in
business as your product drops in price.

So, for a specialty camera based on at least an APS-C sensor we will
probably have to wait for some standardization probably in the generation of
chips being designed now.  Sort of the same analogy that Intel still makes
8088 chips in the same fabs but now gets a $1 or so a chip instead of $300
or so.  But if an 8088 chip will do what you want, it can be used very
effectively.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com