Subject: [Leica] Re: Magnesium VW cases: way OT
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sat Jan 14 07:10:32 2006

To be honest Frank, I do not know how it is protected or if it is
alloyed with something to stabilize it. I have never noticed any
significant corrosion. Here is a quote off of Gene Berg's site:

> All VW cases are "pickled" when new. Pickling is a preservative
> that leaves the case colored. This color varies from gold to green.
> It is not to be removed as it is meant to protect the magnesium
> from corrosion.

Amusing anecdotes about burning VW cases:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-59597--.html

I particularly like the one about the chap who ignited his case while
welding and then threw the burning cases into a pool!

More general VW magnesium case info:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/all_about_magnesium.htm

John Collier

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: Magnesium VW cases: way OT)