Subject: [Leica] La joie de film
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sun Jan 15 07:13:38 2006

I completely agree with what B.D. said earlier. However, another
advantage of film is the ability to let the images go un-viewed for a
good period of time. I find this particularly helpful with emotional
subjects. You need a bit of distance to be able to properly evaluate
the results. Instant viewing can result in editing choices you would
make differently a few months, or more, down the road.

When I photographed my father's death bed, I deliberately delayed
developing the film for a year. Best thing I ever did.

You could still do this with digital I guess. Just turn the screen
off and store the card for a while. Though it would probably require
more self-control than I think I am capable of.

John Collier

PS: Certainly digital has arrived with regard to prints but how is it
doing with projection. I love the projected slide so my question is:
Is it possible to get excellent quality projection of digital files:
say 4 feet by 6 six feet (1.2 x 2 m) viewed at 10 feet (3.2 m) distance?