Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Fri Jan 13 17:47:15 2006

I would have to agree with both Frank and Marc.

The magnesium VW cases are durable though they will probably require
a line bore during an overhaul: not big deal and inexpensive too.
Hamfisted people also do tend to pull the head stud threads but that
is due to improper torquing.

That said, I wouldn't use sheet magnesium to protect anything I
actually liked. Polycarbonate is one of the best materials to use for
camera construction: no "bling" factor though. I wouldn't mind a poly
Leica. It's what's inside that counts.

An acquaintance of mine once threw a set of VW cases into a furnace
thinking they were aluminium. Not something he ever repeated.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) (Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon)
Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) (Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon)