Subject: [Leica] Nikon film cameras
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Jan 13 05:50:41 2006

Bruce,
That is actually a very interesting question.  Current land fills are
typically very highly engineered to retain water and to seal in escaping
gases.  Inside there is a relatively hot moist environment.  State of the
art facilities actually fund a significant portion of the maintenance cost
by selling the methane that is tapped just like a natural gas well.

So, what will be in the archeological dig?  Well, a large percentage of
bizarre plastic artifacts that may have been electronic devices or toys or
simply packaging.  Most of the metal will have been recycled as domestic
trash is realitively free of metals and industrial waste is mined for
anything of present day value before it is disposed of.

It could be very interesting if some graduate sociology students went with
some trained archeologists to do a dig on a fairly recent land fill and see
what requires cultural knowledge to decipher and what is even twenty years
on simply a guess.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com