Subject: [Leica] Nikon film cameras
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jan 12 10:50:17 2006

The difference in now versus then is that the prints produced tend to be
topical to individual printing.  We all know the drill, pictures of friends
at the resaurant, the tropical beach, an embarassing wedding informal.  In
the past, there was a drawer of negatives that had all the random cultural
elements that will intrique future family members if not researchers in
Louisiana.

Two examples, there is a picture of my mothers family out on a sidewalk.
When looking at it you can tell who is there and who is not.  It ended up
being a outtake end of roll exposure outside the church after my
great-grandmothers funeral in 1948.  So I and the next generation can take a
peek into the family in extremely personal moment as they interact after
saying goodbye to the matriarch.  As an aside, it is a very defining image
in terms of what members of the Southern upper class wore, drove, went to
church in, and how they chose to appear in a typical public moment.

The second example is a roll of 6X9 negatives that my grandmother had kept
from her mothers family.  They were images from just before to just after
the 1927 flood on the Mississippi.  The just before images show boats on the
river at the very top of the levee, possibly fifty feet above flood stage at
that location.  The following images are of ten feet of water as far as the
eye can see lapping at the porch of the plantation house. (When that house
was built they respected the river and built anything of real importance way
above ground)

Today, those images will be at best on a hard drive in some landfill.  Like
Sonny, I am shooting film and labeling negatives.  When I move to the dM I
will have to print far more than I do now.

For a while I shot graffitti, most of the structures much less the graffitti
are long gone.  Thank heavens it is stored and labelled so if anyone is
interested in late twentieth century grafitti in the southern U.S. it will
be there.  No, I don't take my photography so seriously that anyone will
care about any artistry; but we learn a lot about a culture from pottery
shards and what is in the trash piles.  :)

Don
don.dory@gmail..com