Subject: [Leica] re: St Puali and Czech bread in Midwest
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Tue Jan 10 18:40:05 2006

That was interesting what was said about Czech bakeries in Iowa.

I grew up eating Czech kolaches. They are great, but when I visited New
Prague in southern Minnesota and went to a spot famous for its
kolaches, I was disappointed. Indeed, all the little "Czech" bakeries
around the famous old place made kolaches which were frankly insipid.
They were like kaiser rolls injected with jelly. Dreadful.

A good kolach is shapped like like a pyramid and filled with fruit
(raisins etc) and even poppyseeds. Great stuff if made by people in
touch with their past.

Doug

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] re: St Puali and Czech bread in Midwest)