Subject: [Leica] Bought a Couple of Russian Jupiter LTM Lenses
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Jan 9 05:27:52 2006

Kind of a crapshoot. But the odds are in your favour that they will be good.

The Jupiter-8 (50/2.0) is wonderfully sharp, quite good even wide-open
in the center (my corners are boring anyway).

A good Jupiter-12 is fantastic. I have one and it is simply dazzling.
The focus is slightly off, but consistently so. So I focus with the
rangefinder and then give a slight twist to the left. I think it is
because that "tube" that nudges against the rangefinder was cut wrong
(too long?). It is consistently wrong on Leicas and Zorkis. It's not
just the lens flange to film plane business. It focuses (according to
the rangefinder) a tad past infinity. I just correct by the same tad.

Every now and then I look at what a Summaron 35/2.8 would cost me but
I put that thought out of my mind fast. By all reports the Jupiter-12
is as good or better. I don't know, I've never had a Summaron (well,
years ago). I do know that from f 4.0 and on it is indistinguishable
from my 70'ies Summicron (35/2.0). I don't hesitate to use it wide
open.

For right around 100 dollars (my guess) I'm pretty sure you got
yourself the best bang for the buck going for Leica LTM's.

The bokeh on both lenses is very, very nice, the 50 in particular. If
you're going to copy a lens, a Zeiss Sonnar is no bad choice.

Daniel