Subject: [Leica] still more on Leica "rumor" and NYT
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 4 13:54:28 2006

Let's see, B.D. says that I don't know anything about journalism because I
suggested a phone call be made "by the editor" to confirm the AP story. My
mistake; I should have been a little sloppier and suggested "somebody at the
NYT should have called somebody somewhere" to confirm the story.

Let's see. The NYT is biggest dog in the pound, yes? Yes. So, when the NYT
(or a representative therefrom) calls, field reporters answer, right? Most
likely.
Let's see, Part II. Cellphones are now on everybody, everywhere? Again, yes.
So a NYT editor can't get somebody to confirm the biggest story of the day?
Malarky.

Matt mentions malfeasance? Not an issue, I suppose, unless lawyers for
surviving family members choose to include the NYT in their threatened
lawsuit(s) against the mining company for reportedly getting their hopes up
then dashing them.

So, why shouldn't this inaccurate story have run? How about journalistic
integrity, for starters? By the way, I doubt Jesus would want to get in the
middle of this. : )

-Chris Lawson