Subject: [Leica] Japanese paper reports Canon to take over Leica
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Dec 31 21:50:33 2005

Javier Perez wrote:
> Huh?
> Who told you they make better lenses than Leitz?
> L lenses are inferior to Leitz lenses (and Zeiss lenses)
> both optically and mechanically. They may occasionally make a lens that
> MTFs better, but they pay for it in other ways. They still can't compete
> in the extreme WA area and my old 1966 90 Elmarit R makes better pics than
> any L zoom! Even the Japanese made Leica zooms are easily as good as L
zooms.
> As for L primes, you pay for speed not image quality. Sorry but L glass
> represents a triumph of astute marketing, not quality or design.

Bofff !  I look at a Leica take-over / buy-out by Canon
as essentially a good thing.  Without such a move,
I fear that Leica cannot possibly survive the next couple
of years.

Anyway, though I believe that the best of Leica optics are
truly the very best, Leica is so far behind in the digital
race, that I think they stand no chance of survival on their
own.  Even among the loyal hard core fans, much of the
disposable cash is diverted into digital photography.

And I like Canon and their L lenses.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Japanese paper reports Canon to take over Leica)