Subject: [Leica] B&W Film Scanner
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Dec 18 22:12:52 2005

Nick,
I have the Nikon Coolscan LS-5000 (pretty close to the V) and am using
it with Vuescan. I am using Windows XP, if that makes a difference,
probably not.

I wouldn't rave about it. I can get the tonality out of silver
negatives that I never could with the Minolta Scan Dual II, but I
can't get the sharpness. The ends (not just the edges, but the short
ends) display a very visible loss of sharpness. This seems to vary
from sample to sample, but there seem to be enough of us with this
problem that it is fairly common. You might not see it in the V, I've
only heard about it in the LS-5000.

There's the Canon too. Don't forget it. I've always been curious about
the film scanner Epson marketed. I like their flat-beds and the light
source used in them seems to be responsible for the great results
(tonality) I can get scanning medium-format negatives on them. If
they're film scanner has the same light source, it might really be a
good option.

Good luck,
Daniel