Subject: [Leica] Re: [LRflex] Digital Leica "M"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Dec 7 11:46:08 2005

On 12/7/05 9:15 AM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> Well actually there are some good PDP-11 emulators that will run RT-11
> just fine and faster than the early versions.
>
> Tom Swift Jr - oh boy - I ate those puppies up. Amazing how he managed
> to use his slide rule to decrypt alien symbols. Never figured that
> out. My favorite title "Tom Swift Jr. and his Spectro-marine Selector"
> which pulled metals out of seawater I think.
>
> I also have "Tom Swift Amoung the Diamond Makers" which is from the
> original set of boy's novels from, I think, the 30s. The prose of a
> very different time.
>
> Adam

SPECTRO MARINE SELECTOR wow you've got a better memory than I do!
Those words haven passed through my brain 40 years!

Buy them HERE:
http://www.series.net/store/swiftjr.html

And his Ultrasonic Cycloplane was good!
And his Triphibian Atomicar got me all excited!
None of these words are in my spell checker by the way.
And check THIS out
http://www.duntemann.com/tomswift.htm

I found the original tom swift Sr. titles to be very humorous in comparison
and when first heard them I thought he really invented all this stuff.
Kind of low tech. Kind of Monty Python:

Tom Swift and his Motor Cycle
Tom Swift and his Motor Boat
Tom Swift and his Air Glider
Tom Swift and his Wizard Camera
Tom Swift and his Great Search Light
Tom Swift and his Photo Telephone (I kid you not!)
Tom Swift and his War Tank (bet he invented it!)
Tom Swift and his Flying Boat
Tom Swift and his Talking Pictures (????!?)
Tom Swift and his Giant Magnet
Tom Swift and his Giant Telescope

I think I should come up with a few of my own!:
Tom Swift and his portable flashlight
Tom Swift and his shoes with rubber Soles
Tom Swift and his filmless camera
Tom Swift and his pinwheel sparkler which he plays with in the closet.
Tom Swift and his telescoping slide rule.
Tom Swift and his trigonometric rangefinder camera
I think I'll call those....SWIFITES
No the real SWIFITES are"
"I have a split personality," said Tom, being frank. (no not a real one)
http://www.without-feathers.com/scraps/read/tom-swifties.php

"I only have diamonds, clubs and spades," Tom said heartlessly.
"_____," Tom said blankly.
"I was the first to climb Mount Everest," Tom said hilariously.
"The sum of the squares of the two sides of a triangle is equal to the
square of the hypotenuse." quoted Tom obliquely.
"Blast it! I dropped my toothpaste again," Tom said, crestfallen.
"I won't let a flat tire get me down," Tom said, without despair.
"Macintosh is the best computer," said Tom applaudingly.

Tom Swifties Rejected from Boys Life Magazine:
?I?ve had it as a prospector,? Tom deadpanned.
?I dismembered a street urchin last night,? Tom said disjointedly.

http://chappie.stanford.edu/archives/2003-2004/garage_sale/tom_swifties_reje
cted_from_boys_life_magazine/

Mark Rabiner
Photography