Subject: [Leica] Salgado AT work
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Dec 9 17:32:10 2005

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_5376.html

I've never seen him AT work just head shots.
Here he is.
With reams of text about Leica.
And the camera in hand is a darned PENTAX!!!:)
With a very Man from U.N.C.L.E. Shoulder brace.

And another lens mysteriously poking out at 45 degrees. Another camera on a
tripod no doubt in the blind behind him.

One Leica camera (Titanium with his name on it) buys 120,000
trees!!?!!?!?!?!
I don't know is that a lot!?!?!
How many football stadiums would those fill that's what Id like to know.
Enough to supply Connecticut with oxygen!?!?

I'm not trying to make fun of it but wouldn't the Brazilian rain forest have
about 120,000,000 trees in it? Or 120,000,000,000?
I'm sure every bit helps. Every twig. Plant a tree or a bush.

Well I went looking to find out how many and I found this which tells you
everything but but has the whole sad story other than that.
http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm
Here's a couple of quotes from that:

"Experts estimates that we are losing 137 plant, animal and insect species
every single day due to rainforest deforestation. That equates to 50,000
species a year"

"The cardboard packing and the wood chipboard industries use 15-ton machines
that gobble up the rainforest with 8-foot cutting discs that have eight
blades revolving 320 times a minute. These machines that cut entire trees
into chips half the size of a matchbox can gobble up more than 200 species
of trees in mere minutes."

Its interesting they talk about tens of thousands of species in this article
over and over again species species species but never how many TREES!?!
Can't see the trees for the species as far as I'm concerned. I'd kind of
like to know!!! Inquiring Rabiners want to know!!!
I bet a lot. And not enough.

I live in a rainforest!
I'm in the pacific Northwest of the U.S.A.. There are two kinds of
rainforests. Temperate and the tropical. BOTH are endangered. The tropical
ones are near the equator. I'm more nearer to the north pole -  ours the
temperate kind. No monkeys. No Boa Constrictors. No Poison arrow frogs.
No toucans.

South America is called "the bird continent".
I'd go down there but I's also the spider and snake and flying reptile and
carnivorous poison plant continent.
I'm content with my continent.

The Pacific northwest has Christmas trees as far as the eye can see and
that's in the summer! No lights. Dull if you ask me.
They don't change color. The leaves don't fall off.
They're green for ever.
As far as I can tell they are made of aluminum.
Except for the telltale acres of stumps. "Stumps of mystery!".
I've had it.

I'm moving to the high desert.

Mark Rabiner
Photography