Subject: [Leica] Storing prints
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Dec 4 13:54:43 2005

Adam Bridge asked:
>>> How are you folks storing prints?
>
> Have you found a particularly efficient form-factor? The storage I'd
> like - thin flat drawers, are really pricey! There has to be a better
> way. I'm not talking 8 x 10, I'm talking 17 x 26 - that neighborhood.<<

Hi Adam,
My way of 50 plus years, 11X14's and 16x20 keeper prints. Not necessarily
the "right way" in the eyes of technical correct people. :-) But, " I did it
my way." ;-)

Given I've just had the experience of going through my print, neg. and slide
files in preparation for shipping to the National Archives, I can say what
I've seen doing it my way, the prints look beautiful. Clean whites and
looking as good as they did the day they were made. Now these prints cover a
time frame of at least 40 years some a bit longer. Until digital printing
time of a couple years ago. Some have been hung in exhibitions, returned and
re-placed to plain old KODAK 16X20 paper boxes. Or the in paper box of the
day.

However, as we checked each print we re-filed them with a piece of acid free
tissue between each and into acid free cardboard boxes large enough for 50
prints and tissue. Will this make any difference in their longevity? Heck I
don't know, as they seem to have survived this long, so hopefully they'll be
good for a few hundred more, well Ok 50. :-)

I'm sure your question will solicit many recommendations. Mine are from a
simple method of doing it the way it was convenient and 40-30-20-10 year old
prints still looking pretty good.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road