Subject: [Leica] Digilux-2, Still a Contender
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Nov 27 04:44:22 2005

The strongest pro for me is Ithe analog style controls: no multi
buttons pushing to obtain simple results, no quirky zoom button, etc.
Typical Leica color (esp. skin tones). Not as cold as Canons, and not
as contrasted and saturated as the Sonys.
Auto white balance isn't that good (easily correctable in RAW), and
you already mentioned some negatives yourself (although the EVF is
something you get easily used to, if you don't move your camera too
quickly).
A very good and big LCD display. Low light is very good in auto mode
(Ted made me understand that) at 100 ISO. 200 and 400 give a lot of
'grain-like' noise.  Manual mode doesn't have a B setting.
A good lens, if you can live with distortion in its widest setting.
Most of these negatives can be easily corrected with all the software
that is out there.
Digital photography is going more an more in the software correction
direction than in the good lens, good sensor, good body anyway.
So quality wise, it's still a contender IMO. Price-wise...
About RAW format: it gives you all the control you want or need
afterwards, but the highest quality jpeg is very good on itself
compared to the RAW.
RAW tends to be a slow writer on the SD, even if you put Ultra cards
in it.

Op 27-nov-05, om 01:02 heeft Martin Krieger het volgende geschreven: