Subject: [Leica] #399
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Nov 23 08:50:59 2005

Graham - I don't often comment on your posts because, well, frankly,
I tend to be struck dumb by your landscape photos, they are so
enjoyable.  This one opens up the possibility of comment though.
It's a picture my eye wants to stay with and roam through.

As I said in an earlier post, I've been rereading a set of notes
about composition and am struck by how often the photos I like the
most contain, and use effectively, multiple geometric compositional
elements.

[Boy, don't I sound pedantic.  Maybe it's just a phase.  This is
rediscovery for me.  :-)]

Leaving the tonality aside for the moment, which is very nice, I'm
struck by the diagonals in decreasing angles of the tree branch, the
line of clouds,  and the line of trees in the distance.  Also, the
wet spot at the bottom of the frame forms a triangle pointing into
the picture.   The fact that the cloud diagonal passes through the
far cluster of trees on its way to the lower right corner of the
picture adds a further element.  The dark line of bushes at the
bottom is yet both another line and one that seems needed to "ground"
the picture.  (I tried cropping it off and the picture goes a bit
dead, at least for me, without it.)

There's so much for the eye to do.  It's no wonder we want to linger.

I'd like to ask you the same question I asked earlier.  Are you
consciously aware of these elements as you shoot or is it all second
nature now?

Thanks.

--
Regards,