Subject: [Leica] The not so humble chip - was tucker down under
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Nov 8 02:55:24 2005

Chips are not JUST chips!!
Making a good chip is an art known to a select few chippies, I think
Frank may agree, mostly in Yorkshire.
 It depends on the type of potato - in the UK there are even special
chipping potatoes which have exactly the right starch/water
ratio to ensure a good tasty chip, but only if you do it right.
That's ony the first part, then the have to be peeled and chipped,
salted   and kept in salt water, preferably overnight, until the moment
of frying, this is to leach out excess starch from the surface of the
chip, if you don't do it they get very soggy and taste awful.
The depth of the fat must be at least twice the depth of chips in the
basket (otherwise they won't be free to move around while frying and
they'll  not only stick together, the ones at the bottom of the basket
will be brown and soggy, the ones at the top not cooked through)
The temperature of the frying fat is VERY important, the quality of the
Yorkshire chip declined after beef dripping was banned (BSE)
from chip shops, sunflower oil or similar vegetable fats just don't
reach a high enough frying temperature, pork dripping is an alternative
but takes on a flavour detrimental to the chips, High temperature
taste-free oils (refined thistle, nut-oils) are just too expensive for
use in bulk.
A chip is not a chip all over the UK, it was always disappointing to
taste the chips that were sold anywhere south of Macclesfield.
Maybe the humble oatcake, still popular in the 5 Towns (Stoke,
Longton,Burslem, Hanley and the other one I always forget), may become a
viable alternative to F&C, tastes really good too, but I doubt it.
In the Eastend of London I always used to enjoy a good Savaloy (spicy
smoked sausage) and chips, jellied eels weren't bad either.
Douglas
(whose cousin-in-law owned one of the biggest chip-fat suppliers in the
North of England)