Subject: [Leica] OT Old film development
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Nov 7 11:28:41 2005

On 11/7/05 11:51 AM, "Mike Durling" <durling@cox.net> typed:

> That sounds like a good plan.  I don't think there is anything special
> about HC110.  You can probably get good results with any developer.  You
> can probably assume this is a 100 ei film so if you go with the times
> that are right for Verichrome pan or Fp4 you probably won't be far off.
>   The negs should still be scanable even if the development is not
> perfect.  After the first roll you can adjust for the others.
>
> Mike D
>
> Aram Langhans wrote:
>> Thanks Mike and others.  I guess the thing to do is to sacrifice one
>> roll to a development process and see what I find out.
>>
>> Nice site.  I might have to find some HC110 to try.  I have Rodinal on
>> hand as it is my main developer.
>>
>> Aram

Just to be the devils advocate the worst results I've ever got from any
developer is the results I got from HC-110 and its dilutions. I must have
struggled with that stuff for over a year in the early 80s.
A close second or tied with Tmax developer, but its been improved now so on
that I don't know.

May I recommend?:
Xtol 1:3 more less diluted as less as possible.
D76 1:2 (that's right, 1:2 not 1:1)
Fp7, no sulfite
Rodinal 1:50 up to 1:100
Just about anything under the sun.
Microdol 1:3
Of course those Pyro and other developer you get get pre mixed from the
PHOTOGRAPHERS FORMULARY in Montana.

And last and least least
Beutlers.

Unless you like MUSH