Subject: [Leica] OT Old film development
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Nov 7 11:59:09 2005

On 11/7/05 11:43 AM, "Luis Miguel Casta?eda" <lmc@interlink.es> typed:

> On 07/11/2005, at 20:28, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> Just to be the devils advocate the worst results I've ever got from
>> any
>> developer is the results I got from HC-110 and its dilutions. I
>> must have
>> struggled with that stuff for over a year in the early 80s.
>
> Curious, I do find the HC-110 the most easiest and convenient
> developer :)
>
> At same time, a mistake making the stock dilution will ruin
> everything involved. That's why I dilute it directly from
> concentrate. Agitation may be problematic too.
>
> Most people that comes from, let's say D-76 or similar find the
> HC-110 not worthing the change, and as the engineer's rule said
> "if it works, do not fix it". Ya know, 1 camera, 1 lens, 1 film, 1
> developer.

Yep all the people I knew didn't make up any stinkin stock solutions.
We just went from from the sticky gooey source.
I had a nice tall skinny graduate I'd use for Rodinal and use it for that.
And then you and to spend some time flushing it all out of that skinny
graduate. Like cleaning a coffee percolator.

One once per quart I think it was for dilution B which was the default.
Right?
I could make higher dilutions work without mottling. Gremlins of all kinds.
20 years later Kodak comes out with a thing saying its ok to do that I think
I saw.
There are some Phenidone film developers which are not mush but this is not
one of them as far as I go and most the people I started out with here in
Portland as well as then met on the internet from all over.  A least with
the Tmax developer you might get another f stop out of it. But it's the same
deal. Stop or not stop your final image in the end really doesn't look so
great anyway. No edge effects. Mushroomed over grain.

Replies: Reply from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] OT Old film development)