Subject: [Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Thu Nov 3 12:51:36 2005

Political = exploitation.  Exploitation of fear is political in so far that
politicians do it, but it more appropriately speaks to the defining of
those that are "good" and those which are "Bad" in society so that the
leaders can create the illusion of consensus in their favor.  What most
educated people fail to see is that  is that when "good" and "Bad" are
defined by those  in power your ability to stay on the "good" side is
chained to your ability to rationalize the actions of those in power.  If
you are unable to do so you become an enemy of the State and killed by the
secret police in the worst case or in our case an enemy of Democracy.
Disagreement is a sign of diversity which is used by a community to improve
knowledge.  If disagreement becomes treason your enemy becomes
clear...anyone.

The U.S. is heading down a dangerous road.  Last time WWII intervened and
we emerged as a social democratic nation that ruled the world.  That time
has passed.  The current administration seems to like the following:

A cult of tradition based on the literal interpretation of the Bible.

Rejection of modernism, replaced with the ideology of the personal
attainment of wealth forgetting about everyone else.  Why should you care
if your neighbors kids can't afford college, it isn't your problem.

Thinking as a form of emasculation unless your attacking modern culture or
the liberal intelligentsia for betraying "traditional values."

Reacting to disagreement as "undemocratic" or "unAmerican"

The concept of "final solutions" and "permanent warfare".  "If only we can
rid the world of these evil doers there would be paradise."  This is by far
the most disgusting and putrid trend.

Aristocratic and militaristic elitism which implies contempt for the weak
and poor.  NO anyone?

Machismo attitudes which include intolerance and condemnation of
nonstandard sexual habits from chastity to homosexuality... and gunplay as
an ersatz phallic exercise.  or chain saw perhaps.

Redefining or limiting language (to the public) in order to limit the
ability to critically reason and thus making rationalization of  "action
without reflection" easy for the intellectuals.

I find these trends rather disturbing and such a collection hasn't been
seen in one place for quite awhile.  The problem is we are waiting for
someone in the administration to announce their going to re-open Auschwitz,
in the mean time people go to jail for using a camera in public.

"at least the system worked"? who is kidding who.

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause)
Message from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause)
Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause)