Subject: [Leica] Requesting opinions about the Elmarit-R 24mm
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri Oct 28 23:58:43 2005

The 24 Elmarit is just fine IMO.  For landscapes, general people
shots, travel, etc.  Makes perfectly good shots.  But it might not
meet expectations for taking photos of newsprint stuck up on a wall,
as, it has rather pronounced field curvature.  This matters only when
taking pictures of walls with the aperture wide open.  The outcome is
that the edges will be out of focus, due to that field curvature,
making the lens look like a piece of crap.  It isn't.  If the wall
was curved, all of it would look great.  My investigations revealed
that the curvature was convex, which is not the best for pics of a
row of people.  But is a 24 the right lens for such shots anyway?
Take a shot of a natural scene and it will look just fine.  Remember
to focus on the part of the image that you want to be in focus. ;-)

Rick.