Subject: [Leica] Re: Inkjet print life
From: benmarks2005 at gmail.com (Benjamin Marks)
Date: Fri Oct 21 11:05:57 2005

I have found that Jon Cone's original (Sundance) carbon inksets fade/warm
initially, but are pretty stable after their initial fade. I am currently
experimenting with his newer Peizo-ICC warmtone inkset on acid-free paper.
There is a photo shop here in Burlington, VT which has had one of these
new-ink prints taped in a window for a year with no noticeable fading.
Glossy paper is still not an option with Cone's inks.
 I have had wildly varying results with HP's inksets. On HP Premium Plus
paper, I have seen no noticeable fade under non-glass display conditions
over the past year. But combining the HP inks with Costco's Kirkland glossy
paper and with Ilford's pearl paper has been disastrous. Prints fading to
yellow/green after only a few weeks.
 I would regard _ANY_ longevity claims from a printer/ink manufacturer with
suspicion.
 This variability and lack of standards is one of the real drawbacks of
digital as opposed to silver-based prints, in my mind. When I make a silver
print, I know that print quality will be consistent, at least over the next
20 years. I know it because I have seen it; and the technology is quite
stable. With inkjet who knows. Even if you hit on an ink and paper combo
that you think works for you, it will probably be replaced by something
later and greater within five years (given the short product cycle in this
still-new industry).
 I'm sure that there are those for whom the end product is not a print. For
me, it still is though.
 Ben

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Inkjet print life)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: Inkjet print life)