Subject: [Leica] LHSA San Francisco meeting - LONG
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Oct 8 14:05:33 2005

Hello friends:

I'm back, at least for a while, prompted by Greg Lorenzo's post on the LHSA
San Francisco meeting and hopeful that many LUG members will be there.

Apart from the magnet that is San Francisco, there is another attraction: I
have asked Bernard Masson, President of Kodak Digital and Film Imaging
Systems to have a Kodak representative participate in our Saturday programs
to describe Kodak's current activities and plans for both digital and silver
halide. We had just such a presentation last October at the Williamsburg
meeting. And Kodak is again providing samples of several Kodak film
emulsions for the "goodie" bags provided each meeting attendee.

BTW, I emailed Bernard some of the LUG posts bemoaning the "fact" that Kodak
was withdrawing from film. He wrote back pointing out that while Kodak is
indeed spending very large amounts of its human and capital resources
developing digital and while new investment in silver halide technology has
been reduced, there was no possibility of Kodak withdrawing from film. Film
still provides a very big part of Kodak's cash flow despite the fact that
consumers are using digital more and more.

There are some new reasons to join LHSA. First among them is VIEWFINDER, the
LHSA quarterly. It is a quality magazine and during the last year we have
made it available on-line as well as in hard copy. Note that there is no
thought whatever to discontinue sending print copies to members since the
quality of images is (always ? ) going to be better than what appears on the
screen.

But wait there's more. Last year I asked the Board to authorize the
appointment of a committee to develop and implement a plan to scan all
VIEWFINDER issues from inception 38 years ago, to replicate the scans on DVD
discs and to provide a DVD copy to every LHSA member as a free member
benefit. LHSA and LUG member Ed Kowaleski headed the committee's effort
which culminated in the distribution last month of those DVD's to all
members. They will continue to be a member benefit free to all new members.

It is our hope that once new members, especially our exceptional LUG
photographers, join and participate by submitting images and even articles
to VIEWFINDER, you will continue as members.

I am aware that for many on the list, LHSA is seen as a group of collectors,
old fogeys fondly fondling   ;-)   their Luxus Leicas, 105mm f/6,3 mountain
Elmar lenses etc.

When I first joined the LHSA Board, I raised the issue of changing the
Society's name precisely because it does not accurately describe LHSA. Many
of us are indeed collectors. Many if not most of us do indeed have an
interest in Leica history and in the development of Leica cameras, lenses
and accessories. But in the years I have been active, I have met only one
member who is not a photographer and a user of his Leica gear.

Some long-time members thought a name change would be going against
tradition and it was not worth pursuing a question that might have been
divisive.

Some other new stuff: we are planning next year's annual meeting in Wetzlar
and Solms around the time of Photokina (mid- to late September). and hope to
meet face-to-face many LHSA friends who live in Europe.

It would be great fun to welcome many of you whom I know only from the LUG
list.

Best to all,

Seth

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] LHSA San Francisco meeting - LONG)