Subject: [Leica] Focomat IC questions
From: cleverlittlename at gmail.com (M. R.)
Date: Mon Sep 26 19:46:41 2005

Hi there--
 I just inherited (from a friend's father) an old Leitz Focomat IC--it looks
to be in beautiful condition, if a bit dusty due to 20+ years of disuse.
Some very specific questions I couldn't necessarily find the answers to on
the list (which might have more to do with my search skills than anything
else):
 1) The lens that came with it, an "Elmar 5cm 1:3.5", is hazy and scratched,
so will need to be replaced. It also has one section with the letters DOOGS
and one with the letters DOORX. Assuming at least one of these might be an
extention tube, which one do I save to use to adapt a replacement 50mm lens
to the enlarger? And how do I get it off--do they screw off, or do I need to
loosen tiny screws on the sides of the barrel, or need a spanner wrench,
etc.? Also, I lack the budget right now to replace the lens with a Focotar,
so what "modern" 50mm lens would complement this enlarger best?
 2) The screw-on anti-newton glass plate (that presses against the neg) is
included--how best to clean this, and with what?
 3) Shockingly, the original bulb in the head still works! What do I replace
it with when it finally goes?
 4) and finally....does anyone have a manual for this? I found one scanned
and posted as a pdf online, but some of the scanned pages only download
partway.
 Thanks so much! This is my first Leica ANYTHING (I didn't realize what I
had a hold of until I googled it!) so I feel very much out of my depth--I
have only ever used Omegas and Beseler enlargers.

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Focomat IC questions)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Focomat IC questions)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Focomat IC questions)