Subject: [Leica] Focomat IC questions
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Mon Sep 26 23:01:45 2005

Hi,

Congratulations the focomat 1c is the best enlarger ever built.
After 10 years I've set up my darkroom again and the Focomat is a still
a joy to use.

M. R. wrote:
> Hi there--
>  I just inherited (from a friend's father) an old Leitz Focomat IC--it
> looks
> to be in beautiful condition, if a bit dusty due to 20+ years of disuse.
> Some very specific questions I couldn't necessarily find the answers to on
> the list (which might have more to do with my search skills than anything
> else):
>  1) The lens that came with it, an "Elmar 5cm 1:3.5", is hazy and
> scratched,
> so will need to be replaced. It also has one section with the letters DOOGS
> and one with the letters DOORX. Assuming at least one of these might be an
> extention tube, which one do I save to use to adapt a replacement 50mm lens
> to the enlarger? And how do I get it off--do they screw off, or do I need
> loosen tiny screws on the sides of the barrel, or need a spanner wrench,

You will need at least the DOORX for a normal 50mm enlarger lens. The
DOOGS is extra for the elmar. They have L39 screw thread and should go
of. I must admit that mine also is so tight I can't get it loose.
Enlarger lenses on Ebay are now very, very cheap.
> etc.? Also, I lack the budget right now to replace the lens with a Focotar,
> so what "modern" 50mm lens would complement this enlarger best?
Any good enlarger lens will do but only with a 50mm you will have the
automatic focusing. Personally I use a componon-S. You must calibrate
the automatic focusing but this very easy. I can send you the manual if
you like.
>  2) The screw-on anti-newton glass plate (that presses against the neg) is
> included--how best to clean this, and with what?
You're lucky. These are expensive to buy later on. I clean things like
this with a cotton cloth and some ethanol.
>  3) Shockingly, the original bulb in the head still works! What do I
> replace
> it with when it finally goes?
Opal enlarger bulbs are still available.
>  4) and finally....does anyone have a manual for this? I found one scanned
> and posted as a pdf online, but some of the scanned pages only download
> partway.
I think I downloaded it fully and is somewhere on my hard drive. If I
find it I will send it to you

Cheers and have fun,

Michiel