Subject: [Leica] Leica MDigital
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Sep 3 05:53:12 2005

Frankly, it may be argued, if we want to be traditional photography
'purists,' that rather than add such a feature, we should be removing the
LCD entirely. If anything is changing the way people photograph with digital
cameras, it is not the digital capture, but rather it is the presence of the
LCD. I am unquestionably shooting fewer frames on jobs I shoot digitally,
than I did on jobs I shot with film, and I have come to the conclusion that
that is so because I can see my images on the spot and, 1., am wasting
shooting time looking at the LCD, and 2., am shooting less because I know
instantly that I 'got it.' I can't help wondering what I'm missing by
shooting fewer frames.

Yes, it's nice to have instant feedback, but I can't help but chuckling when
people who have previously been shooting with IIIfs and M3s, using handheld
meters and getting great exposures, complain that this camera or that camera
doesn't automatically bring up a histogram when they review an image. Two
years ago they would have said, 'what the hell is this histogram thing?!'

Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with a digital M with NO LCD whatsoever,
much less a 'real time' LCD. Sure, I'd also be happy at this point to have a
digital rangefinder with an LCD to review what I shot, but...

Think about what you're saying when you talk about having a real-time LCD
with a rangefinder so that you can take shots over  your head or on the
ground - you're asking for a Rolleica. Hardly what the world needs.
Remember, there's no way in hell you can accurately focus a camera with a
little LCD held over your head.

Anyway, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Leica actually comes out with a
digital M, priced for the working photographer, rather than the Armani
collector, that is vaguely up-to-date in terms of its digital features. The
last thing I want them to be wasting time over is figuring out how to turn
that digital M into another digital P&S. ;-)