Subject: [Leica] Lens hoods
From: arthur.peterson at navy.mil (Peterson, Arthur G CIV SEA 02)
Date: Fri Sep 2 08:06:38 2005

Don,

I can't offer you reports of "successful shading with putatively wrong size
hoods," but your discovery reminds me of a related issue.  I believe that
Leica's last pre-aspherical 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit -M lens, which ended its life
with a 60mm filter thread, and its last pre-aspherical 90mm f/2.0
Summicron-M lens, which ended its life with a 55mm filter thread, both began
their lives with 49mm filter threads (for those same optical formula
lenses), and that Leica's last 135mm f/4.0 Elmarit-M lens, which ended its
life with a 46mm filter thread, began its life with a 39mm filter thread
(for the same optical formula lens)---and, if you will, please excuse any
errors in those figures, as I'm writing these details from memory.  I've
always assumed (with no evidence) that those changes to larger diameters
along the way must have been made to avoid vignetting, either from hoods or
from filters or both.  But perhaps vignetting had already been avoided in
the original dimensions, and the subsequent enlargements merely added extra
margins for error, margins of the kind that your "successful shading with
putatively wrong size hoods" discoveries have now taken advantage.

Art Peterson